Monday, November 21, 2016

Cleaning the Fire Pit

This weekend, I had the opportunity to start a fire in an old fire pit. This round, metal fire pit has not been used much at all in the several years my in-laws have lived at the house. But on Saturday, I got to start a fire in it. And there was a lot of stuff on it - wet, damp, large, small, dry, leaves, sticks, logs - a lot of stuff indeed. And we also collected stuff from the yard, and then brought other stuff to help start the fire.

And so I began my craft, forming the clutter into a shape I thought would work. Then I lit it, and it died quickly. I adjusted some stuff, and lit it again. And again, it didn't stay lit. After several more attempts, I was getting very frustrated, as I am pretty good at starting fires (Thanks Elkhart Boy Scout Troop 1).

Finally, I cleared everything from the pit so I could start it the right way.

Sometimes, as Christians even, we have some old, wet, unusable (for now anyway) clutter in our souls and minds and lives. Then we ask God to light us up with passion for him and his will, and are surprised when not a whole lot happens. We need to be decluttered. But we cannot really do it ourselves. That is the work of the one who knows how we work; who knows how to light up our souls.

So ask him to declutter you. Ask him to clean away what needs to be removed in order for you to live life more abundantly. Or maybe you just need to give him permission. Either way, now is a great time to do it.

Prayer of the day:

Lord, you made me and you know me.
You know what drives me and you light my fire inside.
Please clear out whatever is inside me putting the fire out.
Please place your Holy Spirit in me to light up my soul in you.
In the name of Jesus I pray,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment